1. Start by preparing the chicken thighs, by removing excess skin and any large pockets of visible fat.
2. In a large bowl, mix all brine ingredients and mix well until well combined.
3. Add the chicken to a large snap lock bag and add the brine. Massage the bag to evenly distribute the brine around the chicken and seal shut, forcing out the extra oxygen.
4. Place in the fridge or cooler for 2-4 hours.
5. When ready to cook, preheat your smoker to 250F and setup for indirect smoking with your favorite fruit wood. Personally, I like using cherry as it gives a nice, sweet smoke and great color.
6. Smoke chicken thighs until they hit 140F internal temperature, before using a basting brush to liberally coat the thighs with the marinade mixture.
7. Baste with the marinade again after 15 minutes and allow chicken to continue cooking until it hits 165F internal temp.
8. Rest for 10 minutes before diving in with both hands!Serve this chicken with your summer favorites like potato salad or some great smoked, baked beans.