• Make sure your smoker is good and ready before you add the pie, to let the smoke get nice and clean.
• Only use a mild fruit wood like apple or cherry. Stronger woods like hickory or oak will easily add too much flavor and make the pie taste bitter.
• If using real wood in your smoker, make sure it is well seasoned. Green or “fresh” wood will often leave a stronger flavor behind in the smoke that can become unpleasant.
• If your pie is getting too dark or smoky, cover it tightly with foil.
1. Lay out pie base in, in a pie tin and set aside before preheating your smoker to 425F. Add a mild smoking wood.
2. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix pumpkin puree, sugar, cinnamon, Kosher salt, ginger, cloves, eggs and evaporated milk.
3.Pour filling into the pie dish before adding to your smoker.
4. Smoke for 15 minutes at 425F before reducing to 350F for 45 minutes. Keep a close eye on your pie, to ensure it doesn’t get too dark or over smoke.
5. Remove from heat and let pie rest for 30 minutes.
6. Serve with a simple whipped cream or ice cream.